Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dueck's 1 - Sophie 0

I have been having a debate in my head for a few weeks now... I have been wanting a Sophie giraffe for our youngest son. He is teething and biting on his fingers all the time. I thought he needed a nice little friend to chew on. I have been trying to find ways to justify getting this little critter for him... first of all I could consider it a safety item, kinda like a soother... totally a need. Also, he seems to be in pain and this could really help. And this is the kicker, we have a gift card, from his baby shower. I SHOULD be allowed to spend this, right?
So today I broke down and went to the mall. We made it a family affair. And I was excited. I walked into Toys R Us and was bombarded with the Christmas wish list items everywhere around me. All of the sudden there were a few other things other than Sophie that I maybe should look at? No, we stayed on course. Just in and out, hopefully nobody would see us and ask what we were buying :-)
We found Sophie for $23.99. She was $3.99 over our gift certificate amount. We stood by the shelf staring trying to decide. There was this other toy that was only $17.99 that we could get instead. It wasn't really what we wanted but maybe it would work, ya it could work.... NO we didn't want it we wanted Sophie. Jason asked, "Is this really what you want to cheat on this year?" A chew toy? Is that how we were gonna go down? with a chew toy? Everything in me wanted that silly chew toy, but I quickly said NO let's get out of here before I change my mind. And we fled!
We walked over to a store that gives kids hangers for free if you ask, but they didn't have any. On our way back we walked past Sophie again. I will say that the erg to pick her up and re-consider was still there. I was hoping Jason would have a moment of weakness, but he didn't and I had to follow his lead. He got in the car and said I'm proud of us. It took me a few more minutes to have the same joy. But tonight I am happy... the score remains Dueck's 1 - Sophie 0!

3 comments:

  1. Ok We have been looking all over PS for Sophia...for Elias....If you want her we will pay. I really wanted to get her for him. You decide and let us know. You had me laughing......GO DUECK'E GO! Can you stand going back into the store? If you get her.....post it! Hugs Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we haven't gone back! The score stands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like it must be so much harder when it's something for your kid. BUT! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete